Young Women’s Engineering Symposium (YWES) 2016
Written by Anisha Kabir ’19 and Lara Fernandes ’18
On November 19th the Janksters hosted their annual Young Women’s Engineering Symposium, an event for girls to explore various career paths in the world of STEM. We’d like to thank Minh-Chau Doan (Class of ’17) and Rikako Shimizu (Class of ’17) for coordinating and leading this year’s symposium. With 10 different speakers and attendees from 12 different high schools, the Young Women’s Engineering Symposium housed a wide variety of females, all with a passion or interest in the field of engineering.
The event had three sessions of seven different workshops lead by the speakers to give an in-depth look at their fields and closed with an open panel for the audience to ask the speaker questions about their experiences working as women with engineering careers.
We’d like to thank the following list of inspiring women who were able to attend this year:
- Allison Peck presented Systems Engineering (NPI Manufacturing Engineer at Intuitive Surgical)
- Allyson Clark presented Aerospace Engineering (Advanced Materials Project Manager at SSL)
- Kristin More presented Aerospace Engineering (Spacecraft Production Engineering Lead at SSL)
- Elif Albuz presented Software Engineering
- Vision Software Manager at NVIDIA
- Rasha Nassar presented Industrial Engineering
- Industrial Engineer at Bloom Energy
- Ai Nguyen presented Biomedical Engineering
- System Verification Engineer at BD Biosciences
- Alina Lim presented Biomedical Engineering
- Research & Development Chemist at Abaxis
- Tulin Akin presented Chemical Engineering
- Director of Defect Reduction & Integration at Bloom Energy
- Dr. Katie Wilson presented Electrical Engineering
- Associate Professor at Santa Clara University
- Claudia Galvan was our keynote speaker
- Technical Advisor at Early Stage Innovation
Afterwards, the Janksters had a wonderful lunch with our 10 guest speakers and some attendees from FRC Team 2135. We look forward to hosting another inspirational and fun symposium next year!